Working Title: Environmental Safety and Risk Manager
• Reports directly to the Executive Team (President, EVP, VP-Operations, CFO)
• Ultimately reports to the President
Why this role exists: To execute the Executive Teams vision of a high performing safety culture. To lead a team of Safety Professionals that reinforces and continuously improves our Safety Culture. To be proactive and predictive with risk assessment, management programs and engineering controls to eliminate exposures to employees, the community, our owners or the Company. To engage our Employee Owners with Planning and Organizing, by using their skills and abilities, to make sure no one gets hurt, ever.
Training: Federal OSHA, The Joint Commission, EPA, FDA, DOT, CDC and NFPA laws/regulations, Texas experience a must
Licensure/Certification/ Credentialing: CSP, CRIS or similar, OSHA 510, OSHA 500, OSHA 30 Hour
Essential functions and responsibilities listed below:
• Provide leadership and support of our Corporate Safety Vision that is implemented locally thru our Area Safety Coordinators
• Provide support of operations.
• Develop and deliver training programs to meet the needs of Operations that are compliant with Company, state and federal requirements
• Lead and manage implementation of our Significant Injury and Fatality (SIF) initiatives
• Lead, develop, implement and maintain all environmental, safety and sustainability programs and procedures based on leading indicators and actions.
• Provide guidance, risk assessments and operational reports to the Executive Team
• Manages all claims, track incidents, review and make recommendations for improvement
• Allocate duties and responsibilities to the safety coordinators, issue guidelines and directives, provide training and development
• Ensure proper documentation of all safety related processes are maintained and submitted as needed
• Audit all aspects of our safety performance.
• Maintain understanding and knowledge of current federal, state, and company regulations and policies
• Interacts in person and in writing with Area and Department managers, and other stakeholders regarding project-related conditions that have the potential to affect safety or facility operations
• Assist the Executive team with the preparation of a Contractor Action Plan each year, and direct its implementation
• Identify and drive improvements which reduce the environmental impacts of the company’s operations
• Prepare and maintain an emergency preparedness plan by incorporating federal, state, and local regulations
• Act as the Company Spokesperson as needed
• Act as the lead person with our Insurance Captive, and take part in functions, with a leadership role on various committee’s
• Represent the Company in Associations and Events
• Assist the Estimating team to evaluate risk, exposure and potential liability of work being pursued
• Other duties as assigned
Specific Equipment and Materials to be used: Telephone, PC, copier, scanner, calculator, noise meters, environmental samplers
• Functional needs:
o Microsoft products
▪ Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook: high proficiency
o Dexter Chaney or similar, medium proficiency
• High functioning personal organization, scheduling and planning skills
• Negotiating and influencing skills
• Excellent presentation skills
• Ability to develop and deliver policies and training that drive performance
• Excellent organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills
• Ability to lead and motivate groups and individuals
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage a comprehensive safety program
• Innovative thinker in the areas of predictive analytics, behavior modification, and risk assessment
• Expertise with OSHA and all safety regulations
• Experience in Heavy Civil Construction
• Able to perform under stress
• Thrives in a multi-cultural, multi lingual diverse workspace
• Maintains a valid driver’s license
• Able to travel, sometimes on short notice, potentially to remote worksites
• Able to overnight 5%
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in a related area and at least 10 years of experience in the heavy civil construction field.
• (15+) years of safety experience in a corporate environment
• Experience in a large project engineering and construction environment, including OCIP, CCIP and Captive’s
Physical activities/Physical demands: Telephone daily 20%; keyboard manipulation daily 25%; standing 10% daily; bending 10% daily; and stretching/filing 10% daily, climbing 5% weekly, walking 20% daily.
Work environment: The work environment/physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This may be outdoors, a shop or manufacturing facility, or an office setting. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.